Wednesday 19 August 2009

Rowies, Butteries or Aberdeen Rolls?

Well, which is it? I seem to remember I only ever called them rolls, until I moved away to Edinburgh where that meant something else completely.

Anyway, I'm going through a cooking phase at the moment and have been trying out recipes in the Sopranos Family Cookbook. Minestre, Braciole, Eggs in Purgatory - all great!

My latest attempts have been at baking, with a passable Quiche Lorraine and on Tuesday a batch of Aberdeen Rolls. Now I realise why they were tagged as being so unhealthy!

I could get all ingredients except lard. So the internet provided a method to make my own. My capable assistant, CC, picked up a kilo of pork fat and set about wet rendering our own lard while I was at work.

The recipe came from a Scottish Cookery book that I got as a gift a few years back. It's a fairly time-consuming process, although getting the dough to rise was easy in this hot & humid climate. A lot easier than when Mum and I used to try and make pizza dough in Aberdeen!

By the time they came out of the oven, it was after 1am and the initial reaction was disappointment. But since then I've been heating them up on the George Foreman grill for breakfast and they taste pretty good. Not quite authentic but I think I need to tweak the ingredient quantities a bit.

Next attempt is going to be soft floury baps...

It has been said by some that my recent enthusiasm for cooking has been a tactic to avoid changing nappies etc. Never!

My PC at home is currently on the blink, so I haven't uploaded any photos for a while. CC has some good photos of Catriona to put up, waiting until I get the PC fixed.

No comments:

Post a Comment